Laser hair removal is a popular and effective way to get rid of unwanted body or facial hair. It works by using a beam of light to target the pigment in the hair follicle and damage it, preventing future hair growth. However, not all laser hair removal machines are created equal. Some factors to consider when choosing a laser hair removal treatment are:
- The type of laser: There are different types of lasers that work best for different skin tones and hair colors. For example, alexandrite lasers are optimal for light skin and dark hair, while Nd:YAG lasers are suitable for darker skin tones. IPL (intense pulsed light) devices are not true lasers, but use a broad spectrum of light to target hair follicles. They are less effective and more likely to cause side effects than lasers.
- The size of the spot: The spot size refers to the area of skin that the laser covers in one pulse. Larger spot sizes mean faster treatments, but also higher costs and more discomfort. Smaller spot sizes are more precise and less painful, but take longer to cover the same area.
- The cooling system: Laser hair removal can cause heat and discomfort on the skin, so a cooling system is essential to protect the skin and reduce pain. There are different types of cooling systems, such as air cooling, contact cooling, and cryogen spray cooling. The best cooling system depends on the type of laser, the spot size, and the patient’s preference.
- The cost: Laser hair removal machines vary in price and quality. Some machines are more effective and reliable than others, guaranteeing better results. The cost of the machine also affects the price of the treatments, which considerably varies per session, depending on the area and the med spa.
The Best Technology AND The Best Machine
There are many different laser hair removal technologies on the market, each with its own advantages or disadvantages. Some of the most common technologies include:
- Alexandrite laser: Alexandrite lasers are very effective at removing dark hair on light skin. They are also relatively fast, with treatment times typically lasting 15-30 minutes per session. However, Alexandrite lasers can be more painful than other types of lasers, and they are not as effective on tanned skin or dark skin.
- Nd:YAG laser: Nd:YAG lasers are safe for all skin tones, and they are effective at removing both light and dark hair. However, they are not as fast as Alexandrite lasers, and they may require more sessions to achieve the desired results.
- IPL (intense pulsed light): IPL is not a true laser, but it is often used for laser hair removal. IPL uses a broad spectrum of light to target hair follicles, which makes it less effective than lasers. However, IPL is also somewhat less painful and less expensive than lasers.
Some med spas use IPL technology for laser hair removal, but this is not the best option for several reasons. First, IPL devices are not true lasers, but use a broad spectrum of light that is less focused and less effective than a single wavelength of laser light. Second, IPL devices are not suitable for all skin tones and hair colors, as they can cause burns, blisters, or scarring on darker skin tones, or fail to target lighter hair colors. Third, IPL devices are not as fast or powerful as laser devices, as they have smaller spot sizes and lower fluences, which means they take longer to cover the same area and require more sessions to achieve the same results. Therefore, IPL technology is not the best for laser hair removal, and we at BodyLase use the best professional laser device available on the market – the Candela Gentle Max Pro.
The Best Laser Hair Removal Machine: Candela Gentle Max Pro
The Candela Gentle Max Pro is a professional laser hair removal machine that uses a dual wavelength system of alexandrite and Nd:YAG lasers to treat all skin types and hair colors. It is the gold standard for laser hair removal, as well as other skin and vascular treatments. It has multiple spot sizes, from 1.5 to 24 mm, and variable pulse duration, from 0.25 to 100 ms. It also has a patented dynamic cooling device (DCD) that sprays cryogen on the skin before each pulse, providing comfort and protection. It is FDA-cleared, clinically proven, and trusted by top dermatologists and aestheticians around the world.
The Candela Gentle Max Pro has many advantages over other laser hair removal machines, such as:
- It can treat all skin tones and hair colors, including light, fine, or gray hair, unlike most IPL or diode devices.
- It can deliver faster and more powerful treatments, with larger spot sizes and higher fluences, than most IPL or diode devices.
- It can provide more versatile and comprehensive treatments, with dual wavelengths and variable pulse durations, than most IPL or diode devices.
- It can offer more comfort and safety, with a patented cooling system and a skin tone sensor, than most IPL or diode devices.
Here is a brief comparison between the Candela GentleMax Pro and some other popular laser hair removal options on the market:
|Candela GentleMax Pro
|Sciton BBL Hero
|Dual-wavelength (Alexandrite and Nd:YAG)
|Broadband light (BBL)
|All skin tones
|All skin tones, including tanned skin
|Best for lighter skin tones
|All hair types
|All hair types
|Best for finer hair
Laser hair removal is an investment in your beauty, and you deserve to get the best results possible. However, not all med spas use the best machines for laser hair removal, and some may even use outdated or inferior technology that can compromise your safety and satisfaction. The Candela Gentle Max Pro is the top machine on the market (and the most expensive one – but at BodyLase we are happy to invest in your beauty!), and it is the best one that can treat all skin tones and hair colors effectively, safely, and comfortably.
As the top med spa in the Triangle, we are committed to offering only the best to our customers, and that is why we use the Candela Gentle Max Pro for all our laser hair removal treatments.
Written By Brittany Bulzan – Bodylase Spa Director